My dad loves carrot cake. Particularly (mostly) this one. The cake is super moist and flavorful, and the cream cheese frosting makes it divine. I remembered that since it’s Easter (doh), I should probably contribute a recipe to the blog in celebration. Pastel colors? I has none. I know, I’m like the only person with a baking blog in this country without any pastel colors for Easter. Then I found these pictures lingering on my computer…and it suddenly clicked. I thought,”Easter…bunny…carrots…carrot cake!” I cheated though. I totally forgot to buy carrots at the grocery store, so that I could make this for tomorrow. (Ok, that’s a lie–it didn’t even occur to me to make this.) Therefore, I am providing these pictures from a couple of months ago…before I got a tad but better at taking pictures. I never wanted to do this, but I’m going to make an exception because this recipe cannot wait for my trip to the grocery store. I shall share it with you NOW! Trust me, it’s delicious. I might just have to hop to the store tomorrow as fast as I can tomorrow so that I can make this for my family again.
Carrot Coconut Layer Cake
Makes 2 9 inch cakes (for a layer cake)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I sifted mine first)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients – adapted from ‘The Essential Baker‘
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Butter the edges and bottom of two 9″ cake pans, and line the bottom of both with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl until well combined.
3. In a larger bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and vegetable oil until well combined and then, blend in eggs one at a time until fully mixed.
4. Slowly add in dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and beat until well combined. Mix in the grated carrots and shredded coconut until fully incorporated.
5. Pour batter evenly into the 9″ cake pans about 2/3 of the way full. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cakes with be puffed up and browned on top.
6. Cool in pans for at least 15 minutes and then transfer over to cooling racks with a baking sheet underneath. Allow to fully cool and make the cream cheese frosting, by mixing the ingredients together until light and fluffy.